Kretser's spacious home on Cold Brook Road in Vermontville is a delight to visit. The surrounding grounds are very well kept and show some effects of the past ice storm, as do most areas. Montana, the llama seems to enjoy her home also. Cold Brook Road was formerly known as Sorrell Street on the older maps.
The wood frame house sits on its original site and has been kept in excellent condition over the years. It was built in the late 1800s by a builder by the name of Patterson. Mr. Kretser did most of the restoration and interior modernization work.
While we do not have the names of some of the earlier owners, we have found William and Rose Hogan, Thomas and Esther Hogan were owners, in September 1908, Liber 157 - page 409. They sold the property to Soloman & Selinda Kelley and Charles & Mary Vert of Plattsburgh. Records show Frank Cass bought it from the Kelleys & Verts in February 1917. Frank Cass sold to Gladys Cass (his sister) in March of 1934, Liber 213 - p 222.
The house stayed in the Cass family and was sold in August 1968, Liber 440 -page 1015. Gladys Cass ran a tourist home in the summer. On Saturday nights , the drawing room doors were opened for a square dance, which was open to the neighborhood. After 1968, it was then sold to two schoolteachers, Marilyn Anderson and Madg Goldsmith.
Roland and Miriam Buxton bought the property in November 1970, Liber 450 - page 997. Mr. Buxton sub-divided the farm of 100 acres into 20 and 10 acre parcels.
Walter and Katrine Kretser purchased a 20 acre parcel in October 1973, Liber 465 - page 367.