Town of Franklin Board Meetings
October 9, 2019
Monthly Town Board Meeting
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT:
Supervisor Art Willman, Councilman Tom Bartiss, Councilman Cliff Smalley and Councilman Don Hamm
Councilman Peter Woodcock
Doris Hamm, Franklin Co. Legislator Lindy Ellis, Brad Merrill, Rhonda Swinyer, Dick Jarvis, Leo Demong, Karen Smalley, Dot Brown, Cliff Donaldson, Ed Martin, Leo Demong, Glenn Swinyer, Al Berg, Code Officer Paul Blaine, Highway Superintendent Jacques DeMars and Town Clerk Lauren LeFebvre
CALL TO ORDER
Supervisor Willman called the meeting to order at 5:30pm. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited and the Town Clerk called the roll, noting a quorum was present.
Cliff Donaldson-Mr. Donaldson stated several people have brought concerns to him regarding illegal dumping on Bigelow Rd.
Al Berg-Mr. Berg, in regard to the plans drawn up for the tabled Community Building project, asked what part of the total projected cost was attributed to the kitchen. Supervisor Willman responded that bids submitted ranged between $1.2 and $1.4 million for the entire project. Equipment the Town currently owns would be moved the a new building and additional equipment would be purchased.
REVIEW/APPROVAL OF September 11 2019 MEETING MINUTES
Minutes approved as presented. (T.Bartiss-D. Hamm m/s/p) all aye
APPROVAL OF CLAIMS The board audited and approved payment of the following:
|General Fund||Abstract 10||Claims 177-198||$7,056.14|
|Highway Fund||Abstract 10||Claims 156-170||$44,330.49|
|Pre-Pay General||Abstract 10||Claims 41-43||$679.10|
(D.Hamm-C.Smalley m/s/p) all aye
SUPERVISOR'S REPORT: Balances on hand as of Sept 30, 2019
|Kt. Mt SRF||$2,057.07|
|Kate Mt. CLASS||$46,217.75|
|Cap Proj. HW||$48,688.50|
|Landfill Clos. CR|
|Capital Proj Bldg|
(Hamm-Bartiss m/s/p) All Aye
HIGHWAY SUPERINTENDENT'S REPORT
Superintendent DeMars submitted the following written report:
- Assisted Village of Tupper Lake and Town of Saranac with paving.
- Started hauling sand with the assistance of Town of Harrietstown and the Village of Tupper Lake.
- More prep work done on Rock Street for paving and assisted Harrietstown with shouldering.
- Put on shoulders where paved on Swinyer Road and section of Paye Road with the assistance of Towns of Brighton and Harrietstown
- Hired two new employees to fill vacant positions, still one man out due to injury.
- Did some work on Muzzy Road, had wished to pave it but couldn’t get blacktop in the time frame to accomplish this. Called Upstone in Saranac Lake, Plattsburgh and Malone as well as Jointa in Plattsburgh and could not get any blacktop because the plants were tied up with other projects.
- Cut several trees around town that fell into the roadway/ right of way, ongoing beaver problems around town
- Gas, fuel and maintenance logs given to Highway Committee.
- Code Officer's Report, September 2019-7 Building Permits, 1 Certificate of Occupancy, 7 Inspections, $2,282.04 Fees Collected
A. 2020 Preliminary Budget - The Town Clerk stated the board has been presented with the 2020 Preliminary Budget. Copies for the public are available from her office and are on the town's website. Notice will be published in the newspaper and on the sign for the 2020 Fiscal Budget and Fire Protection Budget Public Hearing which is scheduled for November 13, 2019 at 5:30pm.
B. 2020 Fuel Bids - The Town Clerk reported one bid had been received. Supervisor Willman opened and read aloud the bid from HomEnergy.
RESOLUTION #33 ACCEPT BID FROM HOMENERGY FOR 2020 FUEL On a motion by Councilman Hamm, second by Councilman Smalley, BE IT RESOLVED that the Town of Franklin Town Board does hereby award the 2020 Fuel Purchase to HomEnergy in the amount of NYS contract price per gallon for gasoline and ½ cent below NYS Contract Price Per Gallon for propane, fuel oil and diesel.
Those Voting Aye:
Those voting No: None
C. 2019 Audit of Justice Records - Supervisor Willman reported he and Deputy Supervisor Dot Brown inspected the court records on October 9, 2019 and found them to be in excellent order.
RESOLUTION #34 ACCEPT 2019 JUSTICE AUDIT WHEREAS, Town Justice Roger Symonds, in compliance with NYS Comptroller guidelines, requested an audit of his accounts; a
• WHEREAS, Town Supervisor Arthur P. Willman inspected said records on October 9, 2019, bank statements and accounts, inclusive, and found them to be in good order;
• BE IT RESOLVED, that the Town of Franklin Town Board hereby accepts and approves of the accounting records maintained by Town Justice Roger Symonds.
Those Voting Aye:
Those voting No: None
A. General Fund Pick-up Truck - Supervisor Willman reported the 2014 General Fund Truck was sold for $10,000 as agreed upon by the board in September.
A. Cemetery -Plattsburgh Memorial has been to Union Cemetery. It is unclear what work was performed at that time.
B. Celebration - Children's Christmas Party plans were discussed.
There being no further business before the board, Supervisor Willman adjourned the meeting at 6:10pm.
Respectfully submitted, Lauren LeFebvre, Town Clerk