New York Central Railroad's Section House is located on Kushaqua-Mud Pond Road in Onchiota, New York, approximately 1/10 mile north of the intersection in Onchiota. The structure was built circa 1901 to be used as a residence for the section foreman for the railroad. The squarish two-story building is on the original site. The roof type is a hip metal roof (original roof was slate) with enclosed porch on front (west), and a smaller enclosed porch in the back, on northeast corner.
There are nine interior rooms, with plaster walls, hardwood floors and a wooden staircase. The original windows were 12 paned colonial and most still remain. Doors were framed diagonal boards. The building sits on one acre, of lawn surrounded by pine woods facing the main road. The house is mostly the original structure as the porches were added after 1947. The original house had no electricity or water, which was added after 1947. Water was obtained from a variety of places, one being a cistern in the yard, and also was carried from Oregon Pond. A three-stall garage was built in 1951-1952.
Present owners are Mildred "Millie" and her brother Harold "Hack" Patnode, who purchased the house in 1947. It is not know how long the Section House was vacant before the purchase in 1947 by the Patnodes. During the first half of the century, there were two railroads, the NYC and the D & H, running through Onchiota.